Sure, I thought .. although, I suppose Google has much to gain by having more businesses online to purchase their services .. so, I gave it a whirl.
1) Free .ca domain name (for first year - thereafter about $30/yr). It only took a few minutes to select and submit magrath-ab.ca and then simply answered a phone call to my number confirming I lived in Canada. Done. Never had to give any credit card information.
2) Hosted by Yola.com website .. also free (for first year - thereafter up to $10/mo). Selected a template (basic) and added an applet (a link to my tumblr blog aka ssdirect.tumblr.com). Previewed and Published. Easy.
3) A while later the website was live on the internet. Wow.
Of course, now they would like to sell us on their 'other services' such as: " To increase your marketing reach, you might consider:
• AdWords - Target customers locally or anywhere in the world. Pay only for ads that bring prospects to you.
• Google Base - Add your entire catalog to our free product search site.
• Google Checkout - Sell online with Google Checkout and increase sales by driving more traffic and higher conversions.Maybe later ..
Roger Davies .. the computer guy
at Soft Serve Direct in Magrath, AB